We are working with engaged suppliers that value sustainability and invest in energy and water saving technologies.
Last year was an important year for our climate commitments. We joined the Swedish Textile Initiative for Climate Action (STICA) and started the work of mapping our business emissions. We follow the Greenhouse Gas Protocol methodology for our emissions mapping, which means we cover scope 1, 2, and 3: our own emissions and energy use, as well as the emissions of the full supply chain and user phase.
83% of our total emissions are based on actual data from our shops, offices and suppliers, and we have filled in missing emissions gaps with generic data, standing for the remaining 17% of our emissions. We conducted a customer survey to map the user habits of Nudie Jeans customers. By creating a baseline based primarily on actual data instead of generic data, we hope to be able to see the real changes we are working toward in our supply chain reflected in the numbers moving forward. In 2019, we collected data for 2018, in order to set 2018 as our base year. After finishing our mapping process and creating our baseline, we aim to set science-based targets (SBT) and build an action plan accordingly.
By transporting to every continent on earth, we inevitably have a carbon footprint. We collect this data from all logistics partners that we work with. We transport incoming goods by truck, train, sea freight, and sometimes by air freight. We try to use trains as much as we can but due to the size of shipments and availability, this is not always possible.
Packing our goods in an effective way and combing deliveries from Tunisia with our Italian production before transporting it to Sweden is one solution we are working on to decrease our transportation emissions. We are also working on our production planning to allow suppliers to deliver according to agreed timeframes which in turn allows us to ship as much as possible by sea freight and avoid air freight where possible. Nevertheless, the carbon footprint created by the transportation of our goods represents a large part of our environmental impact.
For outgoing shipments from our warehouse in Sweden we use trucks for delivery in Europe and air freight for all other destinations. We have started to label the more sustainable transportation options at checkout in our online shop to encourage our customers to choose transportation options that produce fewer emissions. The labeled options are based upon a yearly evaluation of the logistic partners and we have chosen to highlight logistics partners that work with fossil-free fuels or pick-up points to limit unnecessary extra mileage.
All emissions from transportation, both inbound and outbound are compensated for by carbon offsetting, either by our logistic partner's own carbon offset program or by our annual carbon offsetting for our business full emissions.
Our climate work is a journey; we are gradually developing our strategy and actions as our knowledge and possibilities around our climate initiatives expand. We gathered data in 2019 to establish 2018 as the base year, and our plan is to offset all our emissions in scope 1, 2, and 3 through carbon offsetting within 2020.
The projects we are evaluating is part of the UN Carbon Offset Platform and are in the area of Tamil Nadu, which is where some of our Indian production suppliers are based. We are evaluating two projects, one that is the same as we invested in for the offsetting last year, which is a biogas production project. The project is a certified Gold Standard and has several additional benefits that support local land use, welfare, and health and safety. The second project we are evaluating is a wind power project that generates renewable electricity to the regional grid, replacing energy from fossil-based sources, and its additional benefits are both the creation of job opportunities, as well as the creation of very clean energy with very small impact on the land, water, air, and soil.
Since July 2016, we have been part of the UPS Carbon Neutral program25, in which we offset the CO2 emissions generated by our exports, imports and returns. Carbon offsetting is achieved through different projects, such as reforestation or the development and installation of renewable energy power plants. The projects are verified by Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS).
Our bags and packages supplier, Avisera, created its own label for all their bags and packages. They plant trees to compensate for the carbon emissions generated by the production process. All of our bags and packaging are made under this label and thus, we support their tree-planting activities.